Nothing beats a warm cup of Potato and Bacon soup on a cold day, especially when you can throw the ingredients in the Crock Pot, and leave it alone to cook all day. This recipe was cut down from my normal family size, to a double serving size–perfect for dinner and a leftover, or dinner for 2. For best results, I recommend investing in a 2-quart Crock Pot. They’re only $10 at Walmart and perfect for smaller recipes. Ready to get started? Here’s what you need:
2 red potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
1/4 c. chopped onions (I use frozen)
1/4 c. sliced carrots (I use frozen)
1/4 c. celery, chopped
1/4 c. bacon, cooked and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. chicken broth
1.3 c. milk, half and half or heavy cream
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 c. sour cream
- Put potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, bacon, salt, pepper and chicken broth in the Crock Pot. Gently stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove 1/2 potatoes, smash them, and return them to the Crock Pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, flour and sour cream. Pour into the Crock Pot and stir.
- Continue cooking for 1 hour on low.