One-dish recipes are just as great to me as Crock Pot recipes. Just add all of your ingredients, cook, and be done. If you like eating zucchini in the summer months as much as I do, then hang on to this recipe, you’ll love it. I use canned chicken to cut the prep time down, but if you want to use fresh chicken, just cook up 2 chicken breasts and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
On the seasoning: Zesty Italian seasoning comes in packets and can be found at Walmart, Target, and just about any other grocery store. But any Italian seasoning packet will do great. Let’s put some zucchini to use! Here’s what you need:
4 zucchini, sliced and then quartered
8 oz. sliced mushrooms (fresh or canned and drained)
1 med. onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce, any flavor
1 packet Zesty Italian seasoning
2 cans White Chunk Chicken Breast, drained or 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbsp. butter
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together zucchini, spaghetti sauce, chicken, and Zesty Italian seasoning packet, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet over med-low heat, saute onion, pepper, and mushrooms in butter for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent and mushrooms are softened.
- Scoop sauteed vegetables into the bowl with the zucchini and chicken. Stir until all ingredients are blended.
- In a 9×13 pan, layer zucchini mixture with mozzarella cheese. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until the edges of the dish are bubbling and the cheese has melted. Add parsley for garnish.
My whole family, even Jack and Luke who are super picky, loved it. For more One Dish recipes and other yummy meals, check out the Recipe Box page!
One thought on “Italian Chicken and Zucchini Bake”