May and June are prime time for fresh strawberries. If you have the option to pick your own or buy them locally, I definitely recommend adding that to your summer recipe bucket list. Outside that time window? No worries. Ripe strawberries from the grocery store will work well too to make a delicious and easy strawberry pie.
All you need for the strawberry filling is sugar, cornstarch, water and of course, strawberries. You can make your own crust, or you can be like me and buy the Pillsbury pre-made refrigerated crust! Here’s what you need:
2 pints (1 quart) fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. water
9 inch pie crust, baked (I use the refrigerated Pillsbury crusts that come in a pack of 2)
Reddi Whip or Cool Whip
1. Bake pie crust according to instructions on box and let cool.
2. Rinse and slice strawberries. Place half of the strawberries in the bottom of the pie plate.
3. Put the remaining strawberries in a mixing bowl and smash with a potato masher or immersion blender until strawberries resemble a chunky sauce. Stir in sugar.
4. Pour the strawberry-sugar mixture into a saucepan and bring to boil over med-high heat.
5. Whisk together water and cornstarch and then slowly pour it into the boiling strawberry mixture.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until strawberry mixture thickens.
7. Pour mixture over strawberries in the pie shell. Because the mixture is thick, you may want to use a butter knife to move the strawberries around just enough to allow the sauce to get to the bottom.
8. Chill for 1-2 hours. Serve with Reddi Wip or Cool Whip.