I always knew them as Arkansas Green Beans growing up, but with no actual ties to Arkansas and no knowledge of the history of the name, it’s just easier for me to call them smothered green beans with bacon. See also: AWESOME.
The sweetness of the brown sugar, salty from the soy sauce and smoky bacon flavors blend together perfectly with the green beans. (I mean, bacon. What’s not to love about bacon, amiright?) No matter what you call these green beans, they make a delicious side dish and are always a crowd pleaser.
5 cans of cut green beans, drained
12 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped (I use Wright’s bacon)
3/4 c. brown sugar
5 Tbsp. melted butter
2-1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the green beans and pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a bowl. Once melted, add brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Stir together until blended.
- Pour over the green beans and toss until coated.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
You know what really goes great with Smothered Green Beans? Baked Mac and Cheese. Take a look: