My favorite Thanksgiving side dish of all time, this sweet potato casserole recipe has two popular fall seasonings–cinnamon and nutmeg–and two layers of marshmallows that melt perfectly in the oven. Add walnuts for some crunch or leave it as is.
2-29 oz. cans, or 1-1/2 40 oz. cans of sweet potatoes (yams), drained
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 bag mini marshmallows
Optional: 2/3 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, hand mash sweet potatoes, leaving slightly chunky.
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl, except the marshmallows, and hand mix for 2-3 minutes.
- In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, pour half of the sweet potato mixture in the baking dish.
- Layer half of the marshmallows on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Top with remainder of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and top with remaining marshmallows, bake for 10 more minutes, and the broil for 2 minutes so that the marshmallows are slightly browned.
Give it a try and let me know what you think! For more side dish recipe ideas, check out the Side Dishes page!