I don’t know why it’s so hard to find tried-and-true recipes that are great for potlucks, Sunday dinner and holiday meals, without having 30 steps or weird ingredients added to them. It’s frustrating. This broccoli and cheese casserole has none of that in it. You know how I know? Because I’ve been eating it for 39 years. I’m not sure if my mom, aunt or Grandma deserves the credit for this recipe, but you’ll recognize it as soon as you taste it. It’s a classic and one that your family will love. Here’s what you need:
1 c. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (20 oz.) pkg. frozen broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
1 c. Minute white rice
1 stick butter, softened
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine too)
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Add broccoli and cook until thawed.
- Mix in soup, cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Stir in rice so that everything is mixed together.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top with buttered, crushed Ritz crackers and cook for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.