Cowboy Casserole looks just like it’s bestie Tatertot Casserole with a couple of exceptions. There’s no green beans and it has a little kick–green chilies. But because of it’s creamy base, the chilies give the casserole just the right amount of spice without being overpowering. Turn the flavor down by taking out one can of the chilies. Turn it up by adding a can of chopped jalapenos! Here’s what you need:
1 lb ground beef
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2-4 oz. cans chopped green chilies, drained
1 c. milk
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. diced onions
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. salt
6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
32 oz. bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef and onions until meat is brown, drain and return to skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together soup, milk, sour cream, corn, bacon, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- Stir the ground beef and chopped onions into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- In an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish, spread the meat mixture on the bottom, then 1 c. of cheese, then top with tater tots.
- Cook uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle remaining 1 c. cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.